Florida’s only public university exclusively teaching science, technology, engineering and math (STEM) is looking for exceptional candidates to serve as the Senior Network Engineer in its Information Security Department.
SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Senior Network Engineer works for and under the general direction of the Information Security Officer. Responsibilities include planning and designing the network infrastructure and enterprise network solutions; troubleshooting, installing, implementing and administering network systems. Also analyzes capacity issues and develops capacity planning models. Responsible for ensuring planned testing activities are executed. Develop and implement policies and procedures to ensure network systems meet University and end user requirements with an emphasis on network stability and security. Provide technology roadmaps governed by strategic direction, business requirements as well as resourcing and financial constraints. Coordinate with enterprise, server and applications engineers to ensure alignment across technology portfolios of University.
- Designs and implements network systems, conducts short- and long-term planning to meet network requirements. Design and deploy functional networks (LAN, WLAN, WAN)
- Monitor network performance and integrity and automate tasks and monitor their effectiveness
- Design, configure and setup complex switching environments
- Design, configure and setup complex wireless networking that supports open or secured access and the ability to support voice and video applications
- Maintain complete technical documentation for use by the network operations and support teams.
- Provides support for network connectivity or related network issues for the user community.
- Analyzes network activity and network problems to discover and prevent systematic errors. Recommends network design changes/enhancements for improved systems availability and performance.
- R&D, proof of concept evaluations, researches, analyzes and recommends the implementation of software or hardware changes to rectify any network deficiencies or to enhance network performance.
- Ensures planned testing activities are performed and technical criteria are met. Disaster Recovery simulation exercise pre-planning and on-site support as needed
- Provides network planning recommendations to management. Develops capacity planning models.
- Evaluates services provided by vendors and recommends changes.
- Project management for IT Infrastructure-related initiatives
- Help to develop and update network policies and procedures.
- Report, record, and work with departments to resolve network related issues and incidents.
- Resolve issues tiers of support have escalated by troubleshooting cloud and local infrastructure
- Create, manage and test security measures (e.g. access authentication and disaster recovery)
- Designs technical solutions and coordinates with the staff to ensure timely and accurate implementation.
- Support network equipment to ensure proper operation including upgrades and installations.
- This position works under limited supervision.
- Performs related duties and fulfills responsibilities as required.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Strong working familiarity with Cisco IOS with hands-on experience configuring Cisco routers, switches, firewalls and unified communication voice systems, Palo Alto Firewall, A10 load balancers, Windows and Linux servers.
- Knowledge of Enterprise system monitoring and management tools.
- Knowledge of commercial enterprise-level tools and products to provide network services, including: firewalls, IPS/IDS, DNS, DHCP, web security, TACACS+, VPN and NAC.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with staff and the general public.
- Requires excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Ability to own issues and troubleshoot, find root cause analysis, and resolution.
- Proven experience with Virtual Systems.
- Proven experience with Windows Active Directory Domains, and Servers.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science, Information Technology or related field.
- At least 3 years of proven IT work experience as a network/system administrator, network, system, or security engineer.
- Equivalent combination of education and experience is considered.
- Preferred Master’s degree from an accredited college or university in Information Technology or related field.
- Prior experience working in higher education preferred.
PHYSICAL DEMAND AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
Physical requirements include occasional lifting/carrying of 5 to 70 pounds; visual acuity, speech and hearing; hand and eye coordination and manual dexterity necessary to operate a computer keyboard and basic office equipment. Subject to sitting, standing, reaching, walking, twisting, and kneeling to perform the essential functions. Working conditions are primarily inside an office environment.
REQUIRED LICENSES, CERTIFICATIONS, AND/OR OTHER SPECIFIC REQUIREMENTS OF LAW:
- Must possess a valid driver’s license.
- This position requires a criminal background check, which may include a Level II screening as required by Florida Statute §435.04.
- This position is subject to federal and state privacy regulations.
NORMAL WORK SCHEDULE: This position is salary exempt. The normal work schedule is Monday – Friday, 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m., however, occasional overtime (weekends and evenings) may be required. Travel between campus locations may be required
TARGET HIRING SALARY & BENEFITS: $77,500 - $85,000, commensurate with experience. Sick, personal and parental leave; State of Florida health insurance and retirement plans.
APPLICATION DEADLINE DATE: The position is open until filled, however review of applications will commence immediately.
APPLICATION PROCESS: In addition to completing the online application, all Applicants are required to upload the following as an attachment to the application (preferably in PDF format):
- Cover Letter